Thursday 28 April 2011

Possessions

I've been studying Luke 16:1-13 for Sunday and as I did I was reminded of something a friend shared with us when our oldest two were toddlers.

The Toddler’s rules of toys
1. If I like it, it’s mine.
2. If it’s in my hands, it’s mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it’s mine.
4. If I had it a week ago, it’s mine.
5. If it’s mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
6. If I’m doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it looks just like mine, it’s mine.
8. If I think it’s mine, it’s mine.
9. If it’s near me, it’s mine.
10. If it’s broken, it’s yours.

Fascinatingly I don't think we overly change much as we get older we still cling to what is "ours".  Jesus is right to be grieved by the rich young ruler, things exert such a powerful hold on us that they either stop us coming to Christ or shortcircuit our radical discipleship because we hold things back as ours.

No comments: