Saturday 1 August 2015

Daily Reading: Psalm 23v6

"Surely your goodness and love will follow me
   all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."

David lived life trusting in God's promises.  Before David came to the throne life was lived on the edge.  The battle with Goliath, other battles with the Philistines, the politics of the kings court, on the run from Saul, and so on.  What consistently strikes you as you read through 1 Samuel is that it is trust in God's promise that sustains him.  And when he seems to be doubting that promise Jonathan comes along and reminds him of God's promise and bolsters his faith.

This final verse of Psalm 23 looks at both present realities and future hope all as a result of both God's promise and his character.  David's security is found in God's indefatigable love and goodness which relentlessly pursues his people.  It is God's character and his faithfulness that enables David to utter that last sentence.  It is not confidence in his own ability to endure or to persevere, it is God's character, his love and goodness that emboldens David to say "and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."

God's covenant faithfulness and love means David can be assured of welcome by God for eternity, a future hope that we share with him - God's people being with him enjoying him forever.  But there is also a present reality side to knowing who God is.  David's hope isn't just fixed on the future, but God's character grounds his present day to day experience.  He knows that God will be with him all through his life, each and every day, and that is what brings him security.  Each and every day he faces not alone but with God at his side.  God who is good and loving to those who are his people, his sheep.

What is my security today as I face whatever life throws at me?  It is that as one of God's people, through faith in Jesus Christ, God's love and goodness will follow me all the days of my life.  In every situation God is loving and good.  Not for one moment will I slip outside of that care no matter what I go through.  And one day I will see him face to face, one day he will put his thumb on my cheek and wipe away the tears and it will be as if they were never there.  One day the love and goodness I know now, but at times struggle in the moment to see, will be abundantly apparent and never dim again for eternity and I will enjoy dwelling in my Father's house with him forever.

The Psalms are designed to sing, not for us to sit back and admire the performance of the artist, but for us to join our voice with his as he leads us in praise to God.  Will I add my voice to his and sing Psalm 23?  Will I carry the tune and the words and its truths into my day, my week, my life?

No comments: