Having just finished 'Everyday Church' by Timmis and Chester I'm now starting 'What did you Expect?' by Paul Tripp, I was lent this book recently and having read the first chapter decided it was so good I wanted a copy for reference purposes. Tripp's emphasis is the need for our marriages to be based on grace. The book is based around 6 commitments:
1. We will give ourselves to a regular lifestyle of confession and forgiveness
2. We will make growth and change our daily agenda
3. We will work together to build a sturdy bond of trust
4. We will commit to building a relationship of love
5. We will deal with our differences with appreciation and grace
6. We will work to protect our marriage
These things are important because we live out our marriage in the midst of a fallen world, because we are sinners married to a sinner, and because God is faithful, powerful,willing and delights to transform us by his grace.